Monday, March 30, 2009

Favorite stupid question...


I was filling out another one of those stupid security question things for some web-site account.  You know the ones; it's no longer enough to have your own user ID and password, the password has to be case-sensitive and contain a mix of numbers and letters, not rhyme with your user ID or your real name,  not be obscene or offensive to religious minorities residing in any of the out lying US territories...  

So of course I now put "1" on the end of all my passwords.  Yeah, that'll stop those hackers dead in their tracks.

Anyway, I now also have to have not one, but two security questions.  "City where you were born", "Favorite author", "Favorite restaurant", "First pet's name", "Favorite sexual position"...

I hate those.  It's none of their business.  Those are all personal things.  I don't talk to just anyone about those things.  But that's not what bothers me.

I usually lie about this, but to be honest... I don't have many favorites.  OK, I don't really have any I can think of.  I've always felt I'm missing something.  Everyone I know has a favorite everything.  A favorite color, song, band, book, movie... I don't even have a favorite pair of shoes!  I'm convinced there's something wrong with me and I've always been insecure about it. (as if don't have enough to be insecure about)

Of course the solution here seems simple enough.  I'll just pick something.  Easy right?  Except I keep forgetting what I picked.

This is pathetic, and not just a little ridiculous.  I'm being intimidated by HTML, or Flash or whatever.  A stupid website is coming damn close to bringing on an anxiety attack.  I don't need this shit.  I have real problems!  Real issues!  I have crap I want to buy online!

So, from now on I'm going with simple answers:  
Favorite (whatever) : Nothing.

No matter what the question my answer will be "Nothing" or "None".  So all you hackers out there that want to extend my subscription to Consumer Reports or change my preferences on Zappos... there you go.  I won't let an extra security measure get in the way of my self esteem! 

No comments:

Post a Comment